Monday 6 February 2017

Bramble control dilemma

Some of my woodland was in danger of becoming impassable due to encroaching brambles.

 
Bramble, bramble everywhere


It's nice to see that the path I'd cut last year is still fairly clear but the plant tends to arch over and spread again so I decided to cut it.

A few hours of work with the big mower left the scene looking a bit different:


Now there's still loads of brambles left and I've no doubt they'll sprout again where they've been cut but there are lot of naturally seeded trees that have sprouted up under this cover where the wildlife can't reach them due to the thorny protection. Now they're exposed I wonder if the deer will decimate the new growth and it has been pointed out that once the canopy is established, the brambles will be shaded out (although quite how big they'd be by the time the canopy becomes established is anyone's guess). I'm sure I've seen stands of bramble in coniferous woodland which is about as dense as it gets

No comments:

Post a Comment