Monday 5 May 2014

Ramsons & bees

Whilst at Michelham Priory yesterday (4th May, 2014), I noticed a huge amount of wild garlic, allium ursinum, known as ramsons, flowering around the watermill. Every part of these is edible, but it's the leaves that are easiest to use. Was given permission to dig some up so came home with a good few large clumps. These are easy to separate into individual bulbs and I took the opportunity to plant them in various locations around the property to see where it will thrive. If it doesn't survive, we drove past a huge population along the Sussex country lanes on the way home so there's plenty to harvest, even if it means travelling a little way.

Planted some in sunny spots...

Allium ursinum

and some in shadier places...

Allium ursinum


I've also put some on the ditch banks (see "Springs and Micro-Swales") , others in pretty waterlogged soil & others in dry, sandy soil


I planted one particular batch next to a small goat willow seedling I was given. Whilst clearing the grass away from the chosen site, I heard what sounded like escaping gas. Thinking I had just dislodged a pocket left over from the tree planting, I ignored it and carried on, but the noise grew louder and I soon realised I had stumbled across a nest of bees underground. As far as I can tell, they are a species of bumblebee but wasn't able to get a decent picture on my 'phone.

2 comments:

  1. Ransoms like shady damp conditions. They are often found in woodlands be a water source. Once I get my woodland up and running proper I will look at introducing some as I really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be posting on here if they come up again next Spring and might be able to send you some seed

    ReplyDelete